Here’s the Recap
Suzy Buttress is host of The Casual Birder podcast and has a deep love and appreciation for all types of birds. Having recently launched her podcast in November 2017, Suzy set out to share the wonder and excitement of watching wild birds in their natural habitat by sharing her experiences about the birds she’s seen in the UK and other parts of the world with people just as passionate about bird watching.
I was fascinated when I learned about Suzy’s podcast through a serendipitous Twitter thread I came across and reached out to her to invite her on the show. With her elegant and soothing English accent coupled with her passion for birds, Suzy is sure to delight even the most casual birder.
What We Covered:
- 05:10 – How I found out about Suzy’s podcast
- 06:24 – When her interest in birdwatching started
- 08:27 – Why she calls herself a casual birder and why she started her podcast
- 11:03 – Birdwatching as a form of meditation
- 11:58 – Suzy explains the format, content, and style of her show
- 14:00 – The type of guests she’s had on the Casual Birder
- 16:43 – The generosity of the podcasting community
- 19:28 – Her favorite podcasts
- 20:35 – Helen Zaltzman’s Podcast Support group she’s a part of
- 24:17 – The meaning of bird calls and songs
- 28:38 – How anyone can learn the meaning of the sounds birds make
- 30:57 – How she is able to determine the type of bird by their sound
- 34:52 – Combining her husband’s love of photography with her love of bird watching
- 38:08 – Her husband joining her on the podcast to talk about their trip to Antarctica to penguin watch
- 40:29 – If penguins are classified as birds
- 44:51 – Her Facebook group
- 46:37 – What inspired her to start her podcast
- 53:05 – What the most challenging thing has been for her as a podcaster
- 58:35 – How she would like to build and grow her podcast going forward
- 01:02:01 – Audio drama podcasts
- 01:03:54 – Something she’s changed her mind about recently
- 01:06:18 – The most misunderstood thing about her
Casual Birder on Facebook
Casual Birder on Instagram
Stop Podcasting Yourself
Judge John Hodgman
We Got This with Mark and Hal
Podcast Junkies 054 – Helen Zaltzman
London Podcast Festival
The Wire: Stripped podcast
Sleep with Me podcast
Enjoying the Show?
- Please comment below, via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or on SpeakPipe!
- Like the show? Please leave a much-appreciated review in iTunes and Stitcher.