Here’s the Recap:
Paul Colligan is another old school podcaster who began speaking on the microphone in 2004. He is also a YouTube and social media expert and was invited to speak on the topic, at a conference in Oman. He shares how he raises his kids in a world filled with technology that remembers every mistake you make and tries to describe what radio is to someone who has never heard of it before. Paul also talks about his time in Germany and what it was like growing up there.
What We Covered:
- 07:45 – Paul talks about his recent trip to Oman.
- 12:55 – We have a vision in our head of who our podcast listeners are, but when you meet them it's very different.
- 16:45 – Podcasting is not a big thing in Oman, but people appreciated the power it held.
- 19:20 – Paul was asked about Donald Trump while he was in Oman.
- 21:15 – Paul spent about an hour in a government-sponsored virtual reality startup.
- 23:45 – Where did Paul's desire to teach stem from?
- 28:30 – What was Paul's earliest recollection of interacting with some sort of technology?
- 32:45 – Paul was talking about an idea on the podcast and someone went off and created a business around it.
- 35:25 – Paul runsa ‘ no Snapchat’ household.
- 37:10 – How do you describe radio to someone who doesn’ t know what radio is?
- 40:15 – Anything you do to limit your children's access to technology is going to eventually hurt their future.
- 43:50 – How long did Paul live in Germany for? Around 8 years.
- 46:15 – Paul recommends the movie, Good Bye, Lenin.
- 47:55 – What is one of Paul's fondest memories of Germany?
- 50:55 – Paul talks about having his kids travel more.
- 52:45 – Paul breaks down all the podcast shows he has started/worked on.
- 55:10 – Ever heard of Over The Rhine?
- 56:15 – Who has been a mentor to Paul?
- 58:50 – Is monetization the right model for podcasts?
- 01:00:10 – There's nothing that says you can't be compensated for doing things that you're passionate about.
- 01:00:25 – What has Paul changed his mind about recently?
Enjoying the Show?
- Please comment below, via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or on SpeakPipe!
- Like the show? Please leave a much-appreciated review in iTunes and Stitcher.