Here’s the Recap:
Mignon Fogarty is the founder of Grammar Girl and the Quick and Dirty Tips Podcast Network, and teaches media entrepreneurship at the University of Nevada, Reno. On this episode, Mignon and I discuss some of the consequences of social media, The Elements of Style, and whether there's a right or wrong way to speaking the English language.
What We Covered:
- 05:00 – Mignon is celebrating her 10 year podcast anniversary!
- 06:50 – What kind of questions does Mignon typically get about podcasting?
- 09:25 – It is a grind to produce a weekly show.
- 12:55 – Mignon created a crowd-funded card game, two years ago.
- 16:50 – Was technology always in Mignon's family or was she just naturally curious about it?
- 17:50 – How did Mignon get into the field of science?
- 21:20 – How has the STEM landscape changed over the years for women in these fields?
- 23:45 – Mignon also teaches social media and constantly reminds her students the consequences of amplifying someone's message.
- 27:45 – Mignon and I discuss the book, The Elements of Style.
- 29:50 – Most modern writers have a conflicted opinion about the book.
- 33:45 – What is Mignon currently reading?
- 37:25 – Mignon can't wait for self-driving cars!
- 39:20 – A lot of Mignon's students aren't on Twitter and use social media less than she'd thought.
- 40:15 – Does Mignon like sci-fi movies?
- 41:45 – What's something Mignon would like to do but hasn't done yet?
- 44:30 – What's the most misunderstood things about Mignon?
- 46:25 – What has Mignon changed her mind about recently?
- 49:45 – There's no real ‘wrong' way to approaching or speaking a language.
- 54:00 – Is there an international version of Grammar Girl yet?
Cast Source Website
Podcast Junkies Website
Quick and Dirty Tips Website
Grammar Girl Podcast
The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.
Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students by Mignon Fogarty
The Chicago Manual of Style Online
Garner's Modern English Usage
Bluescreen by Dan Wells
Waypoint Kangaroo by Curtis C. Chen
Helen Zaltzman on Podcast Junkies
Enjoying the Show?
- Please comment below, via e-mail: email@example.com, or on SpeakPipe!
- Like the show? Please leave a much-appreciated review in iTunes and Stitcher.