Here's the Recap:
Michael Shaw is the host of The Conversation, a podcast about the contemporary arts. He talks with various artists, collectors, dealers, curators and more on the show. Michael has been running his show since 2011 and he talks about some of the upcoming challenges he is likely to face with growing his podcast. Michael also shares on how he has developed such a loyal following over the years; to the point where people donate to his show.
What We Covered:
- 07:00 – Michael talks about sound gear.
- 09:05 – When did Michael launch his show?
- 12:05 – Does Michael have a lot of technical experience?
- 16:00 – Michael prefers a great conversationalist vs. someone who has done well in their career.
- 20:35 – Does Michael go out of his way to get the people he admires on the show?
- 22:35 – It's better to respect the guest more than their career choices to create an amazing show.
- 25:00 – I talk about the two shows that left me kind of star struck.
- 27:05 – Michael knows people are tired of Marc Maron, but the man inspired him to create a podcast.
- 28:45 – It's all about finding the right balance between being really personal vs. being constructive.
- 29:10 – How did Michael learn to be a great interviewer?
- 30:40 – Was Michael curious growing up? He says not really.
- 31:20 – It's about process as well as curiosity. Having a good process can really make things happen.
- 31:40 – Michael believes great shows happen when he and the guest are both in the moment together.
- 37:15 – Most people don't have the ability to engage in a conversation. We just stare at our phones instead.
- 43:00 – Michael talks about artists and different styles.
- 46:35 – What kind of challenges has Michael faced as an artist?
- 50:35 – Michael has some pretty loyal and dedicated fans.
- 51:00 – It's hard to go out of your way to donate to a podcast.
- 54:35 – I talk about the relationships I have developed with my listeners.
- 57:00 – Podcast content is undervalued and successful art is overvalued.
- 59:10 – Michael talks about his mentors.
- 01:02:35 – What's Michael’s fondest memory of New York city?
- 01:03:30 – What has Michael changed his mind about recently?
- 01:08:25 – It's an interesting balance between being burned out vs. needing that social contact and stimulation
- 01:09:15 – Michael depends on his guests for referrals.
- 01:11:35 – At a certain point, Michael felt like he was just a tool.
The Conversation Art Podcast
The Conversation Art Podcast – Ep.#130: Jennifer Sullivan, NY-based artist, curator, performer and c
Artist Podcast Twitter
Artist Podcast Instagram
The Mental Illness Happy Hour
Enjoying the Show?
Music Intro by Cedar & Soil: Twitter | Facebook | Website