Here’s the Recap:
Mark Bologna was born and raised in New Orleans but had moved away by the time Hurricane Katrina hit. He and his wife decided to move back after the storm. Years later, Mark was searching for an idea to base a podcast on, and decided to create “Beyond Bourbon Street,” a view of the New Orleans he’s loved for years.
Mark met with me, ironically on the anniversary of Katrina, to discuss his podcast. We talk about the effect of the hurricane on New Orleans, and how the community has grown from the disaster. We talk about Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and how it differs from people’s assumptions. We discuss capturing the different locations of New Orleans. Finally, we discuss capturing our loved ones’ memories on a microphone before it’s too late.
What We Covered:
- 01:00 – Where Harry met Mark
- 04:00 – Mark’s connection to New Orleans and how he reacted to Hurricane Katrina
- 12:30 – Mardi Gras in New Orleans
- 16:00 – The New Orleans people don’t see
- 19:00 – Capturing the memories of relatives
- 26:00 – The Whitney Plantation and The Upstairs Lounge
- 31:00 – Controlling your own content
- 35:00 – People who helped Mark in making the podcast
- 43:30 – Finding new topics to cover