Here’s the Recap:
Harry Duran welcomes to the podcast best-selling author, speaker, persuasive writing expert and fellow podcasters, Laura Petersen. Laura is the founder and host of Copy That Pops, a podcast aimed at educating podcasters on how to write copy that is compelling, stands out, and is effective for their businesses. Laura has been writing for years and is a true believer in the power of the written word. She has a wide array of experience both as an expert in content marketing and as a podcasting entrepreneur.
In this episode, we talk all about copywriting as it relates to podcasting. Laura discusses her background as a former teacher turned copywriting guru. Laura started her first podcast back in April of 2016 and has since turned that into a successful business. Copy That Pops offers a full range of services, assisting clients to leverage the power of persuasion in their communication. Harry and Laura talk about the importance of writing powerful copy and the influence that reading has on writing. Laura chronicles her growth as an interviewer and a speaker. She credits practice and preparation as the reasons her confidence level soared. Finally, Laura shares how she became #1 Amazon Best-Seller with a book she wrote in just thirty days!
What We Covered:
- 00:00 – Harry welcomes Laura Petersen to the podcast
- 04:28 – The value of audio-only podcasts
- 05:27 – Harry talks about the retention hashtag
- 07:17 – The origin of Harry and Laura’s friendship
- 08:41 – Laura explains the rules of ‘Never Have I Ever’
- 10:03 – Laura’s entrepreneurial background
- 13:36 – Shifting her focus from podcasting to writing books
- 14:15 – Laura’s individual group programs
- 15:50 – The challenges Laura faced during the early stages of podcasting
- 18:54 – How Laura has grown as an interviewer
- 22:40 – Laura’s earliest recollection of her passion for writing
- 28:55 – Copywriting advice Laura would give to podcasters
- 32:09 – The power of words
- 34:07 – Why Laura has been avoiding consuming different content
- 35:55 – The impact reading can have on writing
- 37:57 – Just-In-Time learning vs. Just-In-Case Learning
- 39:16 – Books and podcasts that have been instrumental to Laura’s career
- 45:00 – What is something Laura has changed her mind about recently?
- 46:15 – What is the most misunderstood thing about Laura?
- 47:02 – Laura talks about the books she has written
- 49:25 – Where listeners can follow Laura
Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!
The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
Copywriting for Podcasters: How to Grow Your Podcast, Brand, and Business with Compelling Copy
Permission to Write a Brand Building Book: For Podcasters – 9 Myths Holding You Back from More Exposure and Making a Greater Impact