Here’s the Recap:
Erik Johnson discovered radio while he was studying architecture and has never looked back. He has been in the radio industry since 1989 and currently helps podcasters cultivate their voice and talent. Erik shares a bit of his story, the importance of silence in conversations, and some of the common mistakes new podcasters tend to make – like try to mimic someone else's voice. Tune in for more!
What We Covered:
- 04:15 – Erik has been in radio since 1989.
- 05:10 – When Erik first started in radio, he tried to learn everything he could. He loves to learn.
- 05:50 – Does Erik have a teacher or mentor that also has such a strong desire to learn?
- 08:20 – What is a program director?
- 09:45 – Erik has a degree in architecture, but he fell out of love with it after three years.
- 12:25 – How did Erik make the leap from architecture to broadcasting?
- 13:45 – Erik hated speaking in front of people all throughout high school.
- 15:05 – It's just a matter of doing it enough until you're not scared anymore.
- 20:15 – Does Erik remember the separation between podcasting and radio?
- 21:15 – Podcasts changed for Erik when he got his iPhone.
- 21:35 – Erik started writing about podcasting before he did it.
- 24:25 – Erik and I talk about growing up as a child and how resilient we were.
- 28:10 – I remember the day Atari showed up at my house.
- 29:15 – Erik thought if he was able to teach others what he had learned in radio, people's podcasts would be
- 29:25 – The podcasting genre has become stronger over time.
- 33:25 – We can always learn new things and craft our art better.
- 33:55 – When Erik coaches his clients, he tries to enhance their strengths.
- 34:25 – New podcasters try to sound like the ‘radio guy' or somebody else.
- 37:40 – You don't have to revamp your show, but you'd be surprised by what a bit of change can do to it.
- 38:40 – Erik talks about the importance of silence in conversations, especially in audio.
- 43:25 – Does Erik have a proud teacher moment?
- 45:55 – What has Erik changed his mind about recently?
- 49:25 – What is the most misunderstood thing about Erik?
- 50:40 – Erik is a fan of magic tricks and magicians.
Enjoying the Show?
- Please comment below, via e-mail: email@example.com, or on SpeakPipe!
- Like the show? Please leave a much-appreciated review in iTunes and Stitcher.