Here’s the Recap:
Clay Groves is host of the Fish Nerds Fishing podcast, an ice fishing guide, and a grant writer based out of New Hampshire. Although he and co-founder Dave Kellum started the podcast in 2013, they first started Fish Nerds in 2011 as a writing project with the hope of publishing a book about catching and eating every fresh water fish in New Hampshire.
Even though the book project never materialized, it did grow into the Fish Nerds Fishing podcast and with over 170 episodes under his belt, Clay has found a very specific and niche topic that has proven to catch his audience’s attention.
What We Covered:
- 03:58 – The backstory behind the Fish Nerds and the Fish Nerds Fishing podcast
- 07:35 – MAPCON: Clay’s first experience with a podcasting conference
- 08:51 – Clay’s background in education and his opinion on conferences in the education space and how MAPCON compares to them
- 10:05 – What he thinks about the podcast community at MAPCON
- 11:25 – Road trip adventures with Podcast Junkies episode 136 guest, Amanda Doughty
- 12:05 – How he met Amanda and their collaborations
- 13:01 – Making friends through podcasting
- 13:33 – How using Patreon has greatly helped him with podcasting
- 17:48 – How to get the most out of a service like Patreon
- 22:33 – Advertising his ice fishing guide business on his podcast
- 22:51 – Some of the challenges of podcasting while ice fishing
- 24:28 – What people are mostly surprised about with ice fishing
- 26:07 – The sustainability behind ice fishing
- 27:09 – How thick the ice has to be for ice fishing, snowmobiles, trucks, and airplanes
- 29:51 – How he feels about getting paid for ice fishing and what he’s doing to grow his business
- 32:39 – Clay shares one of his most memorable fishing stories
- 37:34 – People’s natural tendency to help others who are in a bad situation
- 40:03 – How he got into teaching
- 41:56 – How he almost had a career in the music industry and when Nirvana stunk
- 44:51 – The How to Play Guitar with Clay podcast – good or bad idea?
- 46:18 – Why he likes trying new stuff and the different things he’s done
- 49:11 – His daughter’s acting endeavors
- 52:36 – Allowing your children the freedom to explore different interests
- 54:58 – What he’s changed his mind about recently
- 58:11 – The one most misunderstood thing about him
- 01:01:01 – Clay talks about the time he first heard about me and Podcast Junkies
Fish Nerds website
Fish Nerds on IG
Fish Nerds on Twitter
PJ136: Have Beer, Will Travel with Amanda Doughty
Trivial Warfare podcas
PJ042: Jennifer Briney | I Actually Enjoy Reading the Bills, Which Means I’m a Giant Nerd
PJ032: Denny Krahe | This Running Man Shows No Signs of Slowing Down
Fish Nerds Guide Service
The Get Down on Netflix
Enjoying the Show?
- Please comment below, via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or on SpeakPipe!
- Like the show? Please leave a much-appreciated review in iTunes and Stitcher.