Here’s the Recap:
Ben Adair is a Peabody Award-winning journalist, entrepreneur, and educator. Ben first started his career in the alternative press before moving into radio and then podcasting. Ben discusses how his podcast has grown since its initial creation, and why he's more intently focused on delivering unique stories that stand out.
What We Covered:
- 05:00 – Ben and I headed to the local bar to do this interview.
- 08:55 – How has California impacted Ben?
- 10:05 – L.A is a city of secrets and imagination.
- 11:15 – Was Ben ever in danger during his journalist career?
- 14:15 – What was Ben's earliest memory of being curious?
- 16:15 – When Ben first started the podcast, how involved was he in the podcasting community?
- 19:55 – What's so cool abut podcasting is that you can niche down on the most surprising topics.
- 20:20 – The differences between radio and podcasting.
- 22:20 – There really are no rules to podcasting.
- 27:50 – If a podcast is done well, you feel like you're in the same room with them.
- 33:34 – Podcasting is definitely a ‘learn as you go' process.
- 33:55 – Did Ben ever interview someone who made him feel nervous?
- 39:05 – It can be difficult to craft an excellent story when you take away the time factor. How long should
- 42:10 – Ben talks about the first episode he has done and how his show has evolved since then.
- 46:45 – Reality TV is more soul-crushing than any ‘confession journal' that's out there.
- 50:25 – Ben talks about Humans of New York.
- 50:50 – Vulnerable stories are growing because too many people on social media present a ‘perfect' image of
- 51:10 – How does this new environment affect Ben's children?
- 53:00 – What's the most misunderstood thing about Ben?
- 54:45 – What's something Ben has changed his mind about recently?
- 57:50 – Ben's podcast is not on hiatus, he's just working on a story that's really, really hard.
- 01:01:25 – People might not assume Ben is an emotional person, but he actually is.
- 01:07:45 – Ben really tries to interview people face-to-face.
- 01:09:45 – How do you decide what/where home is?
- 01:12:05 – Ben talks about the upcoming shows he's planning on releasing.
Enjoying the Show?
- Please comment below, via e-mail: email@example.com, or on SpeakPipe!
- Like the show? Please leave a much-appreciated review in iTunes and Stitcher.